Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Ban Ki-moon, the Media’s sock puppet

Camera has an interesting analysis on how Ban’s remarks regarding Gaza a month ago where distorted to create the impression that Israel was condemned and at fault for violence and must stop attacking.

Let me quote it, again:
“In light of these deeply disturbing developments, I would like to make the following clear:
I condemn Palestinian rocket attacks and call for the immediate cessation of such acts of terrorism, which serve no purpose, endanger Israeli civilians and bring misery to the Palestinian people. I call for an end to these attacks.
While recognizing Israel’s right to defend itself, I condemn the disproportionate and excessive use of force that has killed and injured so many civilians, including children. I call on Israel to cease such attacks. Israel must fully comply with international humanitarian law and exercise the utmost restraint. Incidents in which civilians have been killed or injured must be investigated and accountability must be ensured.”


While the media misrepresented his words, I still find them offensive simply due to the fact that a statement was made only after Israel retaliated, and only in order to stop Israel from retaliating. Therefore, while not wording it as a condemnation of Israel, the words given by Ban were a tool to do so.

The intensive preoccupation of international diplomats with keeping Israel’s hands tied while it takes physical beatings from Arab Nazis continues these days, as Israel again does nothing to retaliate for a daily bombardment of Jewish civilians and is forced instead to sit silently and allow rearming and regrouping of the “moderate Nazis” at Judea, Samaria and Gaza. In one word: Disgrace. I choose not to criticize Bush’s lame duck presidency – but I’m finding it harder and harder to do.

So a month has passed. Israel is not responding to missiles upon homes and farms. Where is the UN’s outcry? Ban – any final words? Well I guess he’s waiting for Israel’s “disproportionate response” before condemning terror against Jews.

I just sneezed, or in Ban’s way of phrasing it:
I just disproportionally dispersed nasal fluids on my desk. My nose should fully comply with international nasal fluids humanitarian laws and exercise the utmost restraint. Incidents in which mice and keyboards get sprayed must be investigated and accountability must be ensured.

P.S. How come he didn’t call for accountability on the Arab side? How come he didn’t call for accountability on the side of the missiles suppliers? I believe the only disproportion in play here was and remains the disproportional focus on blaming the Jews.

No comments:

Post a Comment